Welcome to Aerospace Engineering at the University of Kansas. We are a tight-knit community for outstanding students, educators and researchers shaping the next generation of aerospace systems. Our proud history in aerospace education and research began with our first class of Bachelor’s students in 1944. Since then, the Department has achieved distinction in a number of areas. For example, KU is one of the best in the world in aircraft, engine and spacecraft design education, winning numerous AIAA and international design competitions (including three this year!). KU research teams support airborne remote sensing from manned and unmanned aircraft, from north pole to south pole. KU’s Aerospace Short Courses have been taught to and well-received by working professionals all over the world for more than three decades.
We offer BS, Masters and Doctoral degrees in Aerospace Engineering. Currently, KUAE is undergoing a rapid expansion in the number of students and faculty, as well as teaching and research space. Here are a few highlights:
- A brand new education and research building (LEEP2) has been completed since Fall 2015, nearly doubling the total space.
- AE's new and bigger design lab, named Textron Aviation Aerospace Engineering Design Laboratory, is prominently featured in LEEP2.
- Five current faculty members have joined since August 2012. The number of faculty has grown by over 50% within five years.
- We have the highest number of freshmen in the last three decades, and these students have higher entering academic credentials.
- We have the highest number of PhD students in our 76 year history.
- It is one of the most exciting times at KUAE, as it soars to new heights.
C.E. and M.J. Spahr Professor and Chair